Sunday 9 September 2018

US Open 2018: Serena Williams loses to Naomi Osaka in controversial final marred by penalty

The match ended in controversy and boos thanks to violations leveled by the chair umpire during the second set.

Osaka got off to a commanding start in the first set, then prevailed in what turned out to be a stunning second set. As Serena was attempting to play herself back into the match, she was warned because her coach was allegedly making hand signals, which is a code violation. Williams was upset by the violation, claiming that her coach was simply giving her a thumbs up and demanding an apology from chair umpire Carlos Ramos.
"You owe me an apology. I have never cheated in my life! I have a daughter and I stand for what's right for her," Williams told Ramos on the court. "I don't cheat to win. I'd rather lose."

No comments: